Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vapour

It's no surprise to me that this article by Glennon Melton at the Huffington Post is going viral on Facebook, especially amongst young moms like myself.  If you haven't read it already, the premise is that every time the author is out in public with her children, she feels like someone is telling her something along the lines of "Enjoy every minute raising your kids.  It passes so quickly!" This message makes her feel like "Being told, in a million different ways to CARPE DIEM makes me worry that if I'm not in a constant state of intense gratitude and ecstasy, I'm doing something wrong."
I've been in her shoes many times already in my three and a half years of parenting, more if you include pregnancy and all the people who tell you to enjoy pregnancy. After reading the article, however, I realized that I'm already the old granny in the article, telling other moms to enjoy every minute of it too.  When I see moms with newborn babes, I sometimes tell them to enjoy that stage because it goes so quickly.  Those little, skinny, fuzzy newborn arms and legs plump up into chubby baby rolls, and those hilarious newborn startle reflexes vanish before you even realize it.  Of course, I half-resented those "enjoy it!" speeches after my first baby was born and I was so exhausted.  Half the time I didn't know whether it was day or night when I awoke from ever-elusive sleep, and I couldn't remember my own baby's name.  Seriously.  I had trouble for the first few weeks not calling him the name of my cat, which is even weirder when you know that my cat went to cat heaven about fifteen years previous to the birth of my child.  But...it really does go quickly in retrospect, doesn't it?  I probably don't need any reminders, but I don't begrudge people who tell me either.  I'm glad that they enjoyed those years, though sometimes I wish they would add something along the lines of: "If you think this is good, just wait...it gets even better."  I sometimes get too caught up in the fact that it does go so fast; I just want to hang on to these days a little longer.  I take a bijillion pictures and videos, blog and relive the day's events in conversation, but it's a little like trying to catch a vapour in a sieve, trying to slow down time.
O in the snow today.


4 comments:

  1. I cannot relate, as I unfortunately do not have children yet, but I wanted to comment that your blog is very lovely! You're a great writer, and I'll be back. I enjoy reading blogs and blogging, so I saved it to my list. I love the font you used for the title! Have fun in the snow!

    ~ Teresa Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa! What is your blog so I can check it out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome :)

    Mine is at http://teresadawn.wordpress.com

    I don't know how to make that a link in the comment section, but it might be now if you click on my name as I logged into it first now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Vapour in a sieve.

    I had to laugh - the whole part about not knowing day from night. I couldn't get my daughter's name right either!! Nor could I remember if she was a boy or a girl for the longest time. Oh sleep deprivation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...