Friday, January 20, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Moving Day #1

Tomorrow is moving day #1.  Since our possession date of our new place is a month after we have to be out of our old place, we'll have to do this all over again in about a month.  Hopefully snowpocalypse does not repeat itself for the occasion.  This week has seen the first real snowstorm of the winter season, and today the mounties issued a plea for people not to travel on the highway by our old house.  So, hopefully the weather warms up in a hurry!  I didn't anticipate hoping for rain on our moving day!
Of course, I'll be doing very little of the moving myself, if any at all.  I've been packing like a crazy woman, but with two little ones to care for who are both currently sick, and a body that does not lend itself well to heavy lifting, it's probably best for me to just stay out of the way.  While I would love to be helpful, there's no use in me standing around, wringing my hands with worry about somebody injuring their back or knees, moving our stuff.  We have a lot of stuff.  I didn't realize just how much more stuff I've accumulated since our last move five and a half years ago until I packed it all into boxes.  It makes me feel uncomfortable to have so much stuff.  I'm a classic over packer when I go on a trip, even an overnighter, and I have a feeling that I pack too much stuff into my life altogether.  Time for more purging as we unpack in a month's time.
Ironically, or perhaps I should more aptly say, disturbingly, feeling anxious about having too much stuff makes me want to do something fun, which, for me, usually includes a trip to a thrift store.  Where, you guessed it, I buy more stuff.  At least I drop off old stuff from time to time, and it doesn't cost as much as typical retail therapy!  Justification complete.  After packing all day yesterday, I hit two thrift stores today. And I dare say it was worth it.  I hit the Lego jackpot, scoring five or six little bags of Lego with Robin Hood people, dragons, horses, and lots of other neat-o do-dads.  Also, a train for O's train collection, some toy cars, and some decor items for our new home.  I've been perusing Pinterest for ideas, and found some inspiration for boy's rooms.  I picked up an old school globe, and two wooden sailboats for decoration a la these pictures:




I'm not a huge fan of wordy wall art, but I really like this one below.  It's so much better than slugs, snails, and puppy dog tails.  And infinitely better than that vinyl wall decal so popular on Pinterest that says "Boy: (n) A noise with dirt on it."  I get that it's supposed to be humorous, but wouldn't that possibly give your son a complex if he grew up thinking that's what you thought of him?  Perhaps I'm being too sensitive, but it just seems a little brash especially when it's juxtaposed with all of the precious sentimental word art about little girls out there. 


I kind of like the idea of using certain toy collections as decoration when not in use, although I don't know how often it would actually look this tidy.  I might be tempted not to let them play with the art.




I'm also kind of digging the fake taxidermy fad in kid's rooms.  Perhaps I will have to chop off the head of a stuffy and mount it one of these days.  


For those of you waiting for a sneak peek of our new place, here are a few photos of the kitchen, dining area, and living room.  Any ideas for paint colours?




Comments are always welcome!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely place! Wow! I'm a fan of red in a kitchen but maybe they did a little too much :). I'm sure you'll come up with just the right look. Hope the move goes safely and well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh...it will take a bit of primer to get those colours covered!! You'll have to show us after pictures. I'm no big help with paint colour. I usually defer to my "coastal neutrals" with kind of a grayish green and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a terrible description of a boy! Sure, boys can be noisy, but what child isn't! Yeesh!

    Congrats on the place! We have similar cabinet colours and went with a khaki green on the walls, which looks pretty good. I also like that smoky blue colour though... good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those idea look so neat!

    I love bold colours in a place. I've painted my bedroom a dark forest green and my living room is dark brown. I have white trim and and french doors and a large window, so it doesn't get too dark. I find the dark colours really cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...