Sunday, May 8, 2011

Prelude to a Birth Story

Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there!  I'm brimming with gratefulness today for the gift of motherhood that God has given me.  It is such an immense privilege to be entrusted with mothering these two little boys of mine.  I'm thankful for the partner that I have been given in this carrying out this responsibility; my husband is amazing and I can't imagine doing this without him.  I'm also thankful, especially today, for the mothers in my life.  Now that I am a mother myself, I appreciate my own mom all the more, and hope to be as good of a mother to my children as she is to me.  Not only do I have my own Mom, but I've been given an unexpected gift of a mother-in-law whom I can count among my friends.  I also know how fortunate I am at my age to have both of my grandmothers, both wise and lively women.

I'm working on writing out little T.'s birth story.  Here is the prelude...

The day before little T.'s labour started was one of the most enjoyable days I've had this year.  My husband and little O. indulged me in accompanying me on several errands which made them much more fun and less "errand-y".  Looking back, I wonder if these errands, which seemed very important at the time, should have clued me into the fact that my baby boy was about to make an early appearance.  As I was falling asleep the night before, I suddenly became very set on the idea of organizing my closet the next morning.  So off we went to Superstore to pick up a large rubbermaid bin for my embarrassingly expanding yarn stash.  Then off to Zellers, which, by the way, is the source of said yarn stash with their impossible to resist bags of discounted surplus yarn, to buy yet another ball of yarn to finish the crocheted robot I'm making for O.  We hit my favourite thrift store on the way and scored a fantastically annoying Buzz Lightyear figurine that talks really loud and has no off button.  But O. is so into Toy Story right now, and it was only a dollar, so we decided to spoil him a little bit.  I bought a couple of newborn clothes for 50 cents a piece, and this neat-o bin type thing for toys or whatever for a dollar.  The sides of the bin zipper down to make a flat playing surface with a farm scene on it.  Our next stop was a little walk around downtown (downtown of our little town, not the big city).  It was one of the few warm days we've had this "Spring" so far, and the cherry blossoms were out in full bloom.  We stopped at a couple of specialty baby shops for me to scope out amber teething necklaces and pacifiers (gasp, I know).  We finished our morning with a stop at the new candy store downtown and reminisced about candy brands we hadn't seen since we were kids.  It was a pretty sweet morning of just spending time together and indulging my strange errand obsessions.  O. and I had naps after lunch, and then we spent a couple of hours outside where I built trellises for the garden.  Then O. helped me to dig holes and plant the peas and scatter the lettuce seeds.  I think he'll have fun this year watching the plants grow and eating the veggies.  Somewhere in there I also reorganized my yarn collection and made my husband reassure me that he loves me even though I'm kin d of a pack-rat.  A near-perfect day.
I woke up with scorching heartburn at about 3:00 a.m. the next morning.  After maxing out on my Tums allowance and sitting up for a while, I tried to get back to sleep to no avail.  My hubby was up at 5:00 a.m. to get ready for the Sunrise Service at 6:00 a.m.  I told him that O. and I probably wouldn't make it to the regular church service at 9:30 since I hadn't slept since 3:00 and O. probably still had a cold.  And I had no illusions of us going to the sunrise service at 6:00 a.m., even though it was going to be held on the roof of the tallest hotel in our town; that would have been kind of neat.  I decided to just get up and have shower at about 5:30 since it looked like sleep was going to elude me.  My hubby checked on me just before he left, and I started blubbering in the shower because I was so tired and heartburn-y, sad about missing Easter Sunday service, and wondering how I was going to manage being huge and pregnant for at least (I thought) another two weeks.  It was kind of a low moment.  Little did I know that I wouldn't be pregnant for much longer!

2 comments:

  1. Nice that you had such a wonderful pre-birth day. Can't wait to hear the conclusion!

    P.S. Why is it we get NO sleep the night before we all deliver. Sheesh. A little pre-rest would help with the most exhausting physical experience of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very captivating writer :) looking forward to hearing the rest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...