Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Poor, neglected little blog.  Sometimes, during mid-night feedings, I think about things that I want to blog about.  Wouldn't it be great if there was a record button in your brain and you could record your thoughts?  By morning, I've usually forgotten what it was that I wanted to write about.  Not that I would have time to write anyhow.  And, just as often, I realize that whatever it was that I wanted to write about was kind of non-sensical, which is to be expected when you are sleeping on a newborn's schedule.  There have been plenty of notable events to blog about: the wedding of a prince, Japan's unfolding nuclear crisis, the assassination of America's number one enemy and the rather shameful jubilant reaction of many people to that death, our own country's fourth national election in seven years, and the fact that we are now just a few weeks away from the official start of Summer even though Spring has yet to show up.  Oh, and I won another online contest!  Two pocket diapers and a wetbag from Hipkiddo diapers.
Some days, I feel like I'm functioning quite well despite the lack of sleep.  Other days, I drive half-way to church (about 2km) without buckling my two-year-old into his car seat.  Confession and clarification - this only happened once.  And hopefully it is one of those things that only ever happens once because I still feel sick to my stomach when I think about it.  I turned around to say something to O. in the car at a red light on Sunday on the way to church, and gasped when I saw that his straps were not clicked in.  The light turned green just as I noticed this, so I turned on my hazard lights and crawled back there to snap the buckles together.  I feel like the hazard lights were warning the whole world that I am a hazard as a mother!  The people behind me missed the green light, but were strangely polite about the whole thing.  Sick, sick, sick.
On a less serious note, I've also been creating nutritional hazards to the elder of my offspring as of late.  I gave him crackers and cheese and a banana for lunch a couple of weeks ago because it took less time than making a sandwich, and I had a crying newborn waiting for me to feed him too.  A few days later, I decided to repeat that menu.  When I took out the box of "crackers," I realized that they were in fact cookies.  In my defense, it was such a cracker type box.  He must have thought that was the best lunch ever.  No wonder he kept asking for more crackers; I must have given him about seven or eight.
One more sleep deprivation story of a more raunchy variety.  A few days after T. was born, I decided to clean around his little umbilical cord with a q-tip dipped in a saline solution because it was looking a little sketchy.  I had my hubby bring me the salt water in a mug and the q-tips, and didn't really pay attention to what he did with the mug after I was done cleaning T.'s belly button.  You can see where this is going.  The next day, I sat down at the couch to nurse and, as usual, forgot to get myself a glass of water beforehand.  As soon as I start nursing, I feel always feel super thirsty.  So, I was delighted to find a mug of water within reach beside me.  Yes, it was that mug of water.  Thankfully, I spit the water out before I swallowed it because it tasted salty, and the realization of where that water had come from was quickly upon me.  Belly-button water.  Lovely.
Despite my sleep-deprived shortcomings, we're all still here and happy, and enjoying being a family of four.  I'm trying to savour all these moments because I know this time around how quickly this baby stage really goes.  I can't believe my first baby will be three years old in a couple of months.  T. is quite a contented baby most of the time.  I was holding my breath waiting for the colicky evenings to start, but perhaps this is just going to be his temperament.  I wonder if O.'s discontent as a baby was at all related to his rough start in life.  Now that I know how smoothly the first days and weeks of T.'s life have been, I feel sad for the start that O. had in the NICU for the first eight days of his life.  I know that it really isn't serious in the grand scheme of things, and that he is a healthy, thriving little boy, but I wish it could have been different for him...more snuggles, no needle pokes and feeding tubes, bright lights and loud beeping noises 24/7.  But thank the Lord and Tommy Douglas for good medical care.
O. is doing a stellar job of being a big brother so far.  There have been times where he has needed some guidance (i.e. don't pick T.'s nose for him, don't open his eyelids for him), but overall he's been very gentle and loving.  Sometimes when T. is crying, O. will come over and sing "Jesus loves me" to him, or coo "Don't worry, I'm here" in his ear.  And sometimes he just covers his ears and says "T.'s crying is hurting my ears!" which is what we all feel like doing sometimes, isn't it?
I've been thinking about the birth story that I posted here last time, and I hope that it didn't come across as being uppity to anyone reading it.  I don't think there's any shame at all in having an epidural and I the idea of having one is quite appealing to me if I decide to have another baby someday.  Truth be told, the idea of having another baby is contingent on getting an epidural at some moments when I think about it!  My desire to avoid an epidural was not to prove anything to myself or to anyone else; I desperately wanted the outcome of this birth to be more positive than O.'s birth.  From the reading that I did, an epidural seemed to indicate a higher risk of complications, so I set out to avoid it.  And since this blog is, in part, a way for me to remember things, I wanted to remember the fact that my shenanigans during labour and delivery were understandable under the circumstances!
Since I haven't really been up to much in the project department besides plumping up a skinny newborn into an almost-plump one-month old, I thought I would post a few things that I finished in the last few months and never got around to posting.

My fuzzy-headed little newborn.
This blanket is finally done.  I started it before I was even married, so that was at least eight years ago.  I had it mostly done for several years, but never got around to weaving in and sewing down the numerous loose bits of yarn.


I also made a batch of these kitchen towels.  I'm not sure what they are actually called, but my collection from my wedding shower gifts were in a sorry state.  I had some from my grandmothers and my husband's late grandmother, and some were gifts bought from other people's grandmothers who sit at tables in the mall filled with crocheted knick knacks.   I think that will probably be me in forty years.  I decided to forgo the floral or tropical bird motifs popular with todays grandmothers, and found some black and white tea towels at Superstore that may be popular when I am a grandmother sitting at my mall kiosk.  I realize that most malls don't have this variety of kiosks, but the mini-mall here is the kind of mall with carpeted hallways and little independent stores with names like "Sports Store."  The towels are actually pretty easy to make: you simply cut the towel in half, sew a zig zag stitch with your sewing machine over the cut edge to keep it from fraying, and crochet away!  I used crochet thread, and a small steel hook that pokes right through the towel along the cut edge.  There are free patterns that you can follow on line, but I found it was easier and more fun to just play it by ear and decrease the number of stitches every row or two.  Add a funky button at the end and voila!




My rocking chair is now sitting in our living room, and the china cabinet is directly in my line of sight fro my usual nursing perch.  After staring at it for many hours a day, I started wondering about re-vamping my dining room furniture.  Specifically, painting it ivory white and distressing the edged for that "shabby chic" look.  I'm still not decided but I probably won't have time for a project of that magnitude for at least a year from now.  We inherited the dining room table, chairs, and china cabinet from my husband's Oma when she got remarried a couple of weeks after we got married.  She and her new husband both had the exact same set, so we were the lucky recipients of one of the duplicates.  It probably isn't my dream dining set, but it's very functional and the china cabinet has great storage.  I was going to wait until my kids were past the spilling food on everything stage to re-cover the chair pads, but I don't think that's going to cut it anymore.  The wood is poking through the corners of the chair pads now, and the foam is barely contained along some of the edges.  So perhaps it would be a good time to re-do the whole set if I'm going to repair the chairs anyhow.  I did some googling and found my exact china cabinet painted shabby chic, so I have a preview of the possibility.  Opinions?  I don't want to paint it and then regret it because we can't buy a new set, and there's no way I'm ever stripping the paint off another piece of furniture again.  I started a project like that a couple of years before I got married for my bedroom, and it is a miserable job to try to do that.  I never did complete that project; it's now sitting in my grandma's basement.  And now, when I look at the dresser, I think it would look kind of cute painted white again, but there's no way I would do that after all that work!



P.S.  I learned this week from my wise older sister that toothpaste can be used to polish silver!  I can finally polish these sweet candlesticks I inherited from my husband's late great aunt from Birks.



Time to go make lunch.  Hmmm...maybe cookies again?


3 comments:

  1. Um, so this line: " By morning, I've usually forgotten what it was that I wanted to write about. Not that I would have time to write anyhow. And, just as often, I realize that whatever it was that I wanted to write about was kind of non-sensical, which is to be expected when you are sleeping on a newborn's schedule." is totally what I go through ALL the time. I can so relate!! A friend of mine also drove with one of her newborn twins unbuckled to Tim Hortons in the middle of the night....hence the coffee trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one on both counts! I've talked to two other people this week who have done the same thing too. Makes me feel a little better, but a little nervous for all the other kids with zombie moms forgetting to buckle their belts out there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! I finally dropped by to visit your blog and I have to comment to say I LOOOOOVE that picture of T sleeping....ohhhh, I just want to CUDDLE HIM!!! I'm coming back tomorrow to read your birth story as it is 2 a.m. now and I really need to go to bed. But it's good to be here! I can't believe you're moving even further away!! Exciting and sad. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...