Friday, December 17, 2010

Dream a Little Dream

\I've been pondering dreams often as of late, probably because I've been having the most lucid and bizarre dreams during this pregnancy.  Most of them could probably be classified as nightmares, if I needed to slot them into a category.  They seem to centre on trying to protect my son or the baby, or being chased by wild animals.  I've heard that this is a pretty common phenomenon during pregnancy, and I remember having strange dreams during all my other pregnancies.  I've also been thinking about dreams as I think about the Christmas story.  Joseph has two important dreams in the biblical Christmas story.  The first of Joseph's dreams takes place after Mary was found to be pregnant.  If you aren't familiar with the story, Mary's pregnancy was scandalous in the public eye because she was not married.  Joseph, her betrothed (picking up the story in Matthew 1) "had in mind to divorce her quietly. 20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[f] because he will save his people from their sins.”  In Matthew 2, Joseph's second dream is recorded: " an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”
What is remarkable to me is that Joseph understands these dreams as truth.  I say this not to suggest that he shouldn't have believed them.  It just seems that we, for the most part, are so far removed from the state of mind where we would believe anything in our dreams as imparting truth in our lives.  Why is that?  Isn't it possible that dreams have meaning for us today too?
I don't think I know the answer to my own question for certain.  I think it has to be at least possible.  I wouldn't say (or want to believe) that all dreams have a deeper meaning.  Last night I dreamed about a pink and white elephant giving birth while running down a street close to my parents' house.  I certainly hope that has no implications for my life!  But some dreams are too meaningful to simply dismiss, aren't they?  
Earlier this year, I miscarried another baby.  I was in a very broken place, knowing that my baby had passed, but I was still carrying him or her.  On the night before I had the D&C, I had a dream that I was waiting on a stretcher in the hospital hallway, waiting for my surgery.  Right before I was wheeled in, I noticed that one of the "surgeons" was actually my late grandfather, whom I adored, dressed up like a doctor.  He winked at me, and I knew he was there, pretending to be a doctor, to bring my baby back up to heaven.  That dream still gets me choked up every time I think about it.  Do you think God sends us dreams like that to give us comfort?  

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and the pain that you had, especially while waiting for the D&C. What a wonderful, comforting dream you had. I think that during pregnancy, our dreams can be especially bizarre but especially meaningful too. I had a special dream about my dad, and the role of father during pregnancy. http://abitoffreshair.blogspot.com/2010/06/fathers-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat dream about your Dad too. And so cute that Aaron reminds you about what your Dad said to him. How interesting that your dream involved wild animals chasing you - I've had so many of those dreams this pregnancy. And, in at least two of them, I'm the one trying to rescue my Dad from the animals, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that wild animal theme is interesting...perhaps symbolizing the wild, the unknown and the need to protect?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...